passive network delay monitoring utility
Kathleen Nichols
2017-05-01 00:41:02 UTC
Hi,
I've just made one of the tools I use to measure network delay
available with a GPLv2 license. Perhaps it will be of intererst.

https://github.com/pollere/pping

Kathie
Eric Dumazet
2017-05-23 19:50:54 UTC
I had the honor to attend Kathleen presentation at Google ;)

I then worked on making sure TCP TS TSval would use 1ms units,
regardless of CONFIG_HZ option in the kernel, since apparently some
distros/devices use HZ=250 or even HZ=100

This should be in linux-4.13 when released.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=9a568de4818dea9a05af141046bd3e589245ab83

Cover letter for the patch series :

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=e26925ec03b31f5ae4c1fc544515486229334ef9
Those of you who have not looked at pping should do so.
See: http://pollere.net/pping.html for a description, and look at the
slides linked to on that page.
In particular, it would be sweet to run this on a home router, as you
can monitor latency simultaneously in either direction. Then we can
point a finger properly at the ISP or at the WiFi in the home network
(encouraging either/both to get fixed).
Anyone interested in undertaking such a project with me, please drop
me a note.
The only downside is that pping is a C++ app, which makes it big for a
home router, so it can't be used on old small home routers due to
footprint issues; but many current home routers would have space for
it.
- Jim
On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Kathleen Nichols
Kathleen Nichols

Kathleen Nichols
2017-05-26 18:41:46 UTC
Couple of things. First, it's probably not hard to write a pping in
other languages
but c++ is my go to. (I am sort of learning javascript right now.) I
think it's great
if we get other versions.

Secondly, for anyone who seriously wants to localize delay in their
application/device/
what-have-you, I have other ways of doing that and I'm happy to discuss
working with
you but there will be $ involved.

Finally, I've been using my infant javascript skills (see paragraph 1)
to make a sort of
web page display for pping and I do plan to open source it when it's not
too embarassing but I'd be happy to connect with other people with a
serious interest in visualizing the
data in a meaningful way.

Kathie
[...]
https://github.com/pollere/pping <https://github.com/pollere/pping>