vendor status-s for bufferbloat solutions
Dave Taht
2018-02-08 20:10:09 UTC
It would be nice to have a set of official statements from vendors
regarding their bufferbloat solutions vis a vis the various RFCs
(notably rfc8290) before the ietf blog entry goes out.

My interchange with the tomahawk 3 guy was fruitless. Apple's kind
of exited the router market. Cable manufacturers are obligated to
implement docsis-pie in 3.1. Microsoft has made a big push recently to
modernize their TCPs. A bunch of router makers did embrace fq_codel
(calling it various things like streamboost, adaptive qos, etc), and a
few calling it what it is notably evenroute, and ubnt in their
edgerouter products, sophos, all of lede/openwrt/asuswrt/etc... but
I'm still unaware of any implementations on ONTs, CMTSes, DSLAMs, DSL
firmwares, MOCA...

What I kind of envision is everybody here annoying their favorite
forums for their favorite product and asking what of the outputs of
the ietf aqm working group they planned to implement.

--

Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Michael Richardson
2018-02-08 21:53:47 UTC
Dave Taht <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be nice to have a set of official statements from vendors
> regarding their bufferbloat solutions vis a vis the various RFCs
> (notably rfc8290) before the ietf blog entry goes out.

Years ago, I was trying to get ISOC's Deploy360 folks to help with doing
this.

> My interchange with the tomahawk 3 guy was fruitless. Apple's kind
> of exited the router market. Cable manufacturers are obligated to
> implement docsis-pie in 3.1. Microsoft has made a big push recently to
> modernize their TCPs. A bunch of router makers did embrace fq_codel
> (calling it various things like streamboost, adaptive qos, etc), and a
> few calling it what it is notably evenroute, and ubnt in their
> edgerouter products, sophos, all of lede/openwrt/asuswrt/etc... but
> I'm still unaware of any implementations on ONTs, CMTSes, DSLAMs, DSL
> firmwares, MOCA...

> What I kind of envision is everybody here annoying their favorite
> forums for their favorite product and asking what of the outputs of
> the ietf aqm working group they planned to implement.

Yeah... So I went through IETF types and through sales channels at one
point, and despite knowing that companies in questions were working on
solutions, nobody knew anything.

--
] Never tell me the odds! | ipv6 mesh networks [
] Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works | network architect [