Self-hosted speed test
Carlos R. Pasqualini
2017-12-07 19:06:57 UTC
Hi List

At our university we have a few locations all around the state, we need
to test the speed of the WAN links to the main NOC.

The WAN links crosses devices not administered by Us, so we need to
diagnose them well, and need to get those tests run by non tech users.

Does anybody knows any FLOSS tool equivalent to deslreport's speedtest
but self hosted?

We found this test but it seems to not consider bufferbloat:
https://github.com/adolfintel/speedtest

Thanks!
--
Carlos Pasqualini

Administración de Redes
Facultad de Ciencias de la Alimentación
Universidad Nacional de Entre Ríos
http://www.fcal.uner.edu.ar/
Jonathan Morton
2017-12-07 19:10:18 UTC
Have you considered the Flent tool? It has a lot of useful test scenarios,
and was actually the inspiration for dslreports' user-friendly tests.

- Jonathan Morton
Carlos R. Pasqualini
2017-12-07 19:24:29 UTC
Have you considered the Flent tool?  It has a lot of useful test
scenarios, and was actually the inspiration for dslreports' user-
friendly tests.
- Jonathan Morton
Thank you Jonathan and Dave for your answers

I have it installed on my system, but it is a desktop app, not web
hosted. That's why I referenced DSL Reports' and not Flent directly.

With Flent I can run tests to hosts I can access to, but not to hosts
behind a NATed segment whose sysadmin is somebody else, in that case we
would need that that person get Flent/Netperf installed and run the
tests.

If we had something web based, may be is not as perfect as
flent/netperf, but it can be really helpful.

Thanks again

http://www.fcal.uner.edu.ar/
Dave Taht
2017-12-07 19:17:31 UTC
All the servers need for basic flent testing is netperf (netserver).
Other tools like irtt are helpful.

The problem with flent's toolset in comparison with your suggestion is
that having a browser based test is useful.

However, we have generally found browser based tests to be
increasingly inaccurate at speeds > 40Mbit.