occasionally, there's good news to be had for the Internet.
Add Reply
Dave Taht
2018-02-12 08:31:00 UTC
I wish that more people agreed that fair queuing and AQM were the
rightest answers to the political debate, of both sides, to
NetworkNeutrality. RF8290 is fair to flows, no matter whose they are.
I also would like stuff like what Jim just wrote to somehow escape the
filter bubble, compressed down into terms found in everyday language.
Or a checkbox item on an RFP.

https://gettys.wordpress.com/2018/02/11/the-blind-men-and-the-elephant/
--
Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Luca Muscariello
2018-02-12 09:25:09 UTC
Next challenge: FQ into silicon...

One of the reasons of what Jim describes under the "Here lies madness"
section
is related to silicon built-in functionalities and the ability to update
software in edge-routers.

Many chipcos build their board with several CPU offloading mechanisms,
e.g.
to support 1Gbps in the home.

My home router uses a fourth-generation BCM3384 euro-DOCSIS 3.0
System-on-a-Chip (SoC)
capable of 1Gbps downstream speeds by bonding up to 24x8 DOCSIS channels.
One at 600MHz for the modem and one for the OS at 1GHz.

I get 1Gbps downstream reliably and excessive latency too, ...reliably.

It's a Linux box in the end but no way to enable FQ_codel based on the
current architecture
as TCP pipelines are offloaded to silicon.

the are all sort of acceleration in the SoC, so I don't see it impossible
to get FQ there.
Post by Dave Taht
I wish that more people agreed that fair queuing and AQM were the
rightest answers to the political debate, of both sides, to
NetworkNeutrality. RF8290 is fair to flows, no matter whose they are.
I also would like stuff like what Jim just wrote to somehow escape the
filter bubble, compressed down into terms found in everyday language.
Or a checkbox item on an RFP.
https://gettys.wordpress.com/2018/02/11/the-blind-men-and-the-elephant/
--
Dave TÀht