Eduard Grigorescu's thesis on reducing internet latency
Dave Taht
2018-06-18 17:29:31 UTC
http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.737962

The thesis picks on me for not explaining fq_codel well enough and fails
to cite any of toke's work, and I'm unfond of the characterisation of rural
broadband as a 2mbit-only service, but aside from that... pretty good thesis,
and a pretty good explanation of how fq_codel works.

--

Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Pete Heist
2018-06-18 19:49:23 UTC
> On Jun 18, 2018, at 7:29 PM, Dave Taht <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.737962
>
> The thesis picks on me for not explaining fq_codel well enough and fails
> to cite any of toke's work, and I'm unfond of the characterisation of rural
> broadband as a 2mbit-only service, but aside from that... pretty good thesis,
> and a pretty good explanation of how fq_codel works.

In Czech, rural broadband seems to be dominated by WISPs. That’s that selfish reason why I want to understand bloat in these networks. Referring to a ten year old Czech article, Wikipedia says:

"There were 879 Wi-Fi based WISPs in the Czech Republic as of May 2008, making it the country with most Wi-Fi access points in the whole EU.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Internet_service_provider <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Internet_service_provider>
Dave Taht
2018-06-18 19:57:44 UTC
On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM, Pete Heist <***@heistp.net> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 7:29 PM, Dave Taht <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.737962
>
> The thesis picks on me for not explaining fq_codel well enough and fails
> to cite any of toke's work, and I'm unfond of the characterisation of rural
> broadband as a 2mbit-only service, but aside from that... pretty good
> thesis,
> and a pretty good explanation of how fq_codel works.
>

> In Czech, rural broadband seems to be dominated by WISPs. That’s that
> selfish reason why I want to understand bloat in these networks. Referring
> to a ten year old Czech article, Wikipedia says:
>
> "There were 879 Wi-Fi based WISPs in the Czech Republic as of May 2008,
> making it the country with most Wi-Fi access points in the whole EU.”
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Internet_service_provider

I think the british definition of "rural broadband" is dsl.

--

Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
David Lang
2018-06-18 20:01:25 UTC
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, Dave Taht wrote:

> I think the british definition of "rural broadband" is dsl.

what lucky people to be within dsl range of a CO. I have trouble with that in
urban southern california