quic's spin bit proposal
Dave Taht
2017-12-12 20:46:56 UTC
in reading this

https://blog.apnic.net/2017/12/12/internet-protocols-changing/

I stumbled across the "spin bit" idea being discussed in the ietf.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-trammell-quic-spin-00

In a world where quic is 7% of all traffic presently (wow, I didn't know)...
--
Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Jesper Louis Andersen
2017-12-15 17:06:34 UTC
Post by Dave Taht
In a world where quic is 7% of all traffic presently (wow, I didn't know)...
BitTorrent's MicroTP (uTP) had about 15% at some point as well. This was
especially scary as:

* it used the then not-fully-understood LEDBAT congestion algorithm.
* the de-facto implementation wasn't too well understood and there no
competing implementations in order to understand interoperability.
* there were no formal process when it was created.
* for simplicty it dropped half-open connections. But implemented that in a
slightly faulty way.

I know, because I had an experiment where I did an Erlang-implementation of
the protocol.

At least QUIC seems to be getting some process now, which is good.