Curious case of local "Fiber"
Bruno George Moraes
2018-01-22 20:07:12 UTC
Finally some option for me to leave ADSL behind , but here comes the
"Curious case of Fiber to the apartment block" terminated with ether100mbps
to my computer.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/28751645

My NIC is configured to only 1/1 buffers, then MTU 1492 (increased of
default 1480), PPoE login with Windows 10 using CUBIC.

ISP site with prices in BRL:
http://www.ole.net.br/site/condominio-internet/
Jonathan Morton
2018-02-12 13:56:35 UTC
My NIC is configured to only 1/1 buffers, then MTU 1492 (increased of default 1480), PPoE login with Windows 10 using CUBIC.
I didn't know Windows supported CUBIC. The default AFAIK is Compound TCP, if it isn't NewReno.

In any case, it looks like the bottleneck isn't at your NIC (so your settings don't matter), but at the router terminating the fibre for the whole building. That's the best place to mitigate the bloat, since it would work for the whole building's uplinks.

- Jonathan Morton
Neal Cardwell
2018-02-12 14:01:45 UTC
Post by Bruno George Moraes
Post by Bruno George Moraes
My NIC is configured to only 1/1 buffers, then MTU 1492 (increased of
default 1480), PPoE login with Windows 10 using CUBIC.
I didn't know Windows supported CUBIC. The default AFAIK is Compound TCP,
if it isn't NewReno.
FWIW, I believe some recent versions of Windows 10 can be optionally
configured to use CUBIC:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2017/07/13/core-network-stack-features-in-the-creators-update-for-windows-10/

neal
Jim Gettys
2018-02-12 14:34:07 UTC
Post by Bruno George Moraes
Post by Bruno George Moraes
My NIC is configured to only 1/1 buffers, then MTU 1492 (increased of
default 1480), PPoE login with Windows 10 using CUBIC.
I didn't know Windows supported CUBIC. The default AFAIK is Compound TCP,
if it isn't NewReno.
In any case, it looks like the bottleneck isn't at your NIC (so your
settings don't matter), but at the router terminating the fibre for the
whole building. That's the best place to mitigate the bloat, since it
would work for the whole building's uplinks.
​Note, as always, you should locate your bottleneck.

WiFi is also highly suspect; you have terrible bloat in the upload
direction, which is probably typical for a WiFi bottleneck from a
device/laptop.
- Jim

​
Post by Bruno George Moraes