Bufferbloat in high resolution + non-stationarity
Martin Geddes
2017-10-11 13:00:04 UTC
Folks,

I have uploaded a presentation of high-fidelity network performance
measures which includes an example of bufferbloat in high resolution, as
possibly you have never seen it before.

See slide 18 of this deck:
https://www.slideshare.net/mgeddes/stationarity-is-the-new-speed. The
classic "bloat" is a sudden formation of the queue, and a very slow (and
steady) draining. Bufferbloat is just one form of statistical variability
("non-stationarity") in packet networks.

For a world record winner, see this one
take over a minute (Huawei WiFi hotspot roaming in Ireland with UK SIM)! Or
for a pretty picture of buffers draining, try this one

Happy to answer any questions.

Martin Geddes
Dave Taht
2017-10-16 20:26:56 UTC
Sorry for the late reply.
Post by Martin Geddes
Folks,
I have uploaded a presentation of high-fidelity network performance measures
which includes an example of bufferbloat in high resolution, as possibly you
have never seen it before.
Well, flent can generate a similar level of detail under a generated
load. Some of kathie's work can now do it against tcp on pcaps.

Was yours against general traffic?
Post by Martin Geddes
https://www.slideshare.net/mgeddes/stationarity-is-the-new-speed. The classic
"bloat" is a sudden formation of the queue, and a very slow (and steady)
draining. Bufferbloat is just one form of statistical variability
("non-stationarity") in packet networks.
Good set of slides. Analysis is picking up...

Where you and I always tend to fall off a cliff is on your conclusions
as to what to do about it, e.g. slide 19. I'd rather love it if you
repeated your tests and graphs against pie, and fq_codel, and/or cake.

For that matter BBR might be interesting against your tool.

And then say what you'd do differently. In some way I can repeat.
Post by Martin Geddes
For a world record winner, see this one where packets take over a minute (Huawei
WiFi hotspot roaming in Ireland with UK SIM)! Or for a pretty picture of buffers
draining, try this one.
Well, at the moment gogo-in-flight holds the interplanetary record
(680sec as I recall), but yea, 60+ seconds is up there. Contact
Guinness!