[Bloat] first bufferbloat free cablemodem?
Dave Taht
2018-10-06 03:14:28 UTC
I would so love for the review on this to be true.

https://express.google.com/product/Arris-SURFboard-Cable-Modem-and-AC2350-Wi-Fi-Router-with-Arris-Secure-Home-Internet-by-McAfee/0_17937886568302066345_0
--
Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
Tel: 1-831-205-9740
Jan Ceuleers
2018-10-06 08:10:23 UTC
Could you post a link that can be viewed from outside the US?
Benjamin Cronce
2018-10-06 15:41:00 UTC
Quote from the link
"With 24 download and 8 upload channels, the Arris can get download speeds
of up to a gigabit if your plan offers it. I'm too cheap for that
experience right now, but its nice to have it as a possible option for the
future. Now for the pleasant surprise. With my previous modem/router combo,
I usually got D's and F's on the DSLreports.com speedtest which also
measures bufferbloat. With the Arris, I consitently get A's and only an
occasional B. Why should you care? Bufferbloat is high latency (or lag)
that occurs when there's other traffic on your network. It can adversely
affect streaming performance. Geeks have spent years developing router
firmwares to combat it. I adjusted nothing and tweaked no settings to get
these results. This benefit is not touted in any of the specs, but the test
results speak for themselves. "
Dave Taht
2018-10-06 16:07:07 UTC
Post by Benjamin Cronce
[...]
Except that he didn't actually post those results. Certainly I expect
pie, but I was praying also for inbound shaping.
Tel: 1-831-205-9740
Aaron Wood
2018-10-07 18:14:25 UTC
Maybe he's on a DOCSIS 3.1 headend that's also using pie? Pie doesn't need
to know the outbound rate, correct? as it's meant to be driven by the
RTS/CTS type behavior that the upstream traffic on cable has (the correct
terms for cable aren't coming to mind at the moment).
Post by Benjamin Cronce
Post by Benjamin Cronce
Post by Jan Ceuleers
Could you post a link that can be viewed from outside the US?
Dave TÀht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740
Mikael Abrahamsson
2018-10-08 03:36:38 UTC
Post by Aaron Wood
Maybe he's on a DOCSIS 3.1 headend that's also using pie? Pie doesn't need
to know the outbound rate, correct? as it's meant to be driven by the
RTS/CTS type behavior that the upstream traffic on cable has (the correct
terms for cable aren't coming to mind at the moment).
Correct, PIE acts on the queue just like CODEL. From what I can tell, PIE
is a queue discipline that can be implemented on hardware that supports
WRED (which most can) with the help of extra software and some CPU cycles
to tune it over time. That's why HW manufacturers like PIE.
--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: ***@swm.pp.se